Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Favorite Sculpture at Punta della Dogana

When I visited Venice for the second time, I spent some time at the slightly flooded Punta della Dogana to admire some sculptures on the plaza.

One of my favorite, “Boy With Frog,” by Charles Ray, has since been unfortunately removed, due to locals' demand of the return to the spot of a "romantic" lamppost.

DSCN2728 _ Statue at the tip of Fondamenta Salute, Venezia, 15 October - modified

Without that amazing and controversial work, which would be my most favorite, I move on to cite other two sculptures as my favorites. The first one was a 2010 metaphoric one titled Vater Staat (Father State) by Thomas Schütte. It presented a wizened and stiffly upright man in a humble monkish habit and a boxy brimless hat, a figure was simultaneously self-effacing, dignified, and somewhat pompous and ridiculous, ever so slightly.  It was a perfect personification of such strange concept.

DSCN2734 _ Vater Staat by Thomas Schütte, 2010, in front of Basilica Salute, Venezia
Vater Staat by Thomas Schütte, 2010, in front of Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute

The second favorite of mine was a group sculpture of Atlas, symbolizing the might of the fabled Republic of Venice. The golden ball was held up by two giants, or two slaves as some claimed, and upon which stood a 17th-century Fortune, which turned in the sea wind - a perfect documentary of the fantastical seafaring power.

DSCN2449 _ Dogana, Venezia, 14 October
Two giants supporting Atlans, upon with stands Fortune

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 102: My Favorite Paintings in Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venezia
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 100: My Favorite Artworks at Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, Venezia

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- My Favorite Paintings at Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris
- My Favorite Sculptures at Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral), Vienna
- My Favorite Sculptures in Basilique Saint-Denis (Paris)
- Basilica di San Petronio and San Domenico in Bologna
- My Favorite Art Works at Santa Maria Novella, Firenze
- Magical Piazza San Marco in Venice
- Bologna Wrap Up

No comments:

Post a Comment