Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Favorite Artworks at Stadtpfarrkirche zum Hl. Blut, Graz


DSCN8658 _ Katholische Kirche Graz-Sanktdtpfarre zum Hl. Blut, 8 October DSCN8641 _ Katholische Kirche Graz-Sanktdtpfarre zum Hl. Blut, 8 October
 
The Graz parish church, Stadtpfarrkirche zum Hl. Blut (Parish Church of Holy Blood), nestling quietly in the the busiest street of the city, Herrengasse, had a wonderful baroque façade containing my favorite sculpture of the church, a scholar or a clergyman in a distinctive long robe and cornered hat, holding a large folio and a paper roll. Face serene and intelligent, pose determined and a bit defiant, the figure was shrouded in a slight mystery.  The outline and the coloration of the figure and the background were so cleanly delineated that the sculpture was worthy of a drawing by the incomparable John Flexman

DSCN8659 _ Stadtpfarrkirche, Graz, 8 October

My second favorite art in the church was two large panels of stained glasses behind a large crucifixion.  These two panels were noteworthy, mostly for depicting the heinous Hitler and Mussolini watching the Taunting of Christ (left panel, right column, fourth pane from bottom).

DSCN9249 _ Hitler & Mussolini, Stadtpfarrkirche, Graz, 9 October

DSCN9252 _ Hitler & Mussolini, Stadtpfarrkirche, Graz, 9 October

DSCN9251 _ Hitler & Mussolini, Stadtpfarrkirche, Graz, 9 October

A rightful posture of apology from Austrian people.


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 95: My Favorite Sculptures at Schloßberg, Graz

<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 93: My Favorite Altar Pieces at Mariahilferkirche, Graz

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- San Giorgio Maggiore, Il Redentore, Scuola e Chise Grande di San Rocco, Venezia
- My Favorite Paintings at Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris
- My Favorite Art Works at Santa Maria Novella, Firenze
- Basilica di San Petronio and San Domenico in Bologna

No comments:

Post a Comment