Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My Favorite Artwork at Musée de Cluny - Musée national du Moyen Âge, Paris

Not far from Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris, lies Musée de Cluny, officially known as Musée National du Moyen Âge, which boasts many magnificent ancient artifacts.  Even for people who are not usually interested in the Medieval era, if they are open-minded enough, they might be pleasantly surprised by many surprisingly vital things they'll encounter there, and might even re-assess their own notions of stilted Middle-Age.

My favorite collection in this museum was a group of six tapestries, under the name of La Dame à la licorne - The Lady and the Unicorn: My only desire and five senses. In the dark room, the pale pink tapestries glowed with unbridled sensuality and it was the culmination of the chivalry culture of the romantic era.

Musée National du Moyen Âge: Lady_and_the_Unicorn by Atlant
Photo courtesy of Atlant

La Dame à la licorne: A mon seul désir, Musée National du Moyen Âge, Paris, 2008
La Dame à la licorne: A mon seul désir, Musée National du Moyen Âge, Paris, 2008

My second favorite object was harder to pick amongst numerous wonderful things and finally I decided on an ancient tile with a bird dominating the center of the square, painted light on maroon colored background. Evocative pose, rich coloration, fluid lines, economical yet rich in detail, it was startlingly modern and authentically ancient. 

Ancient Tile - Musée national du Moyen Âge, Paris, 2008


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 75: My Favorite Sculptures in le Jardin des Tuileries
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 73: My Favorite Artworks at Musée National Eugène Delacroix, Paris

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited  

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Musée de Cluny - Musée national du Moyen Âge, Paris
- The Cloisters - The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- My Favorite Paintings at Musée Marmottan Monet
- My Favorite Sculptures at Musée Rodin, Paris
- Revisiting Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena
- My Favorite Paintings from Musée Picasso, Paris
- My Favorite Sculptures at Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, Paris
- My Favorite Paintings in Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp (Antwerpen), Belgium

No comments:

Post a Comment